Roaster Onion SoupFrom hsfargis 9 years ago
- 1/4 cup fresh parmesan cheese, grated shopping list
- 3 Spanish onions, cut in half lengthwise and thinly sliced shopping list
- 1/4 cup brandy shopping list
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, chopped shopping list
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper shopping list
- 1 garlic head, large, cloves separated, peeled and cut in half shopping list
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth shopping list
- 2 teaspoons olive oil (preferably extra-virgin olive oil) shopping list
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste 3 large shallots, cut in half lengthwise and thinly sliced. shopping list
How to make it
- Set oven rack at the lowest level; preheat to 450 degrees. Combine onions, shallots, garlic and oil in a large shallow roasting pan. Roast for 20 to 25 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes, or until the onions are golden.
- Remove from oven and pour in one-fourth of the chicken stock. Stir liquid in the pan, scraping the bottom to loosen and dissolve any caramelized bits. (The liquid will become quite dark.)
- Transfer the onion mixture to a soup pot and add brandy, thyme and the remaining chicken stock. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, for 30 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper and top with Parmesan cheese.