Spring Vegetable Soup With Crusty BreadFrom knwalter 8 years ago
- 1 pint grape tomatoes shopping list
- 3 Tbs. EVOO (extra-virgin olive oil), plus more for drizzling shopping list
- salt and pepper shopping list
- 4 pieces crusty bread (1-inch thick) shopping list
- 1 clove garlic shopping list
- 1 bunch asparagus, sliced on an angle into 1-inch pieces shopping list
- 4 scallions, sliced on an angle into 1-inch pieces shopping list
- 1/4 lb. green beans, sliced on an angle into thirds shopping list
- 4 cups baby spinach, coarsely chopped shopping list
- 5 cups chicken or vegetable broth shopping list
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed shopping list
- 2 Tbs. chopped, fresh parsley shopping list
- 2 tsp. grated lemon peel shopping list
- Grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese shopping list
How to make it
- Pre-heat the oven to 400 degrees F. On a rimmed baking sheet, toss the tomatoes with 1 Tbs. EVOO and salt and pepper to taste. Roast for 15 minutes. Let cool, then mash.
- Pre-heat the broiler, then toast the bread. Rub with the garlic and drizzle with more EVOO.
- In a large skillet, heat the remaining 2 Tbs. of EVOO, (2 turns of the pan) over medium-high heat. Add the asparagus, scallions and greenbens; season with salt and pepper. Cook until the scallions are softened, about 2 minutes. Add the spinach and cook until wilted, about 1 minute. Add the broth and peas and simmer until heated through, about 5-7 minutes. Stir in the mashed tomatoes.
- To serve, put 1 piece of toast in each of 4 bowls, pour soup on top and sprinkle with parsley and lemon peel.
- Pass the cheese around the table.
- **recipe and photograph from "Every Day with Rachael Ray" magazine**