WW California Sushi RollsFrom auntybea 8 years ago
- 2 1/4 cups water shopping list
- 2 cups sushi rice, rinsed shopping list
- ½ cup seasoned rice vinegar shopping list
- 1 tbsp. toasted sesame seeds shopping list
- 3 tbsps. Warm water shopping list
- 2 tbsps. Reduced-sodium soy sauce shopping list
- 2 tsps. wasabi powder shopping list
- 1 tsp. Asian (dark) sesame oil shopping list
- 1 tsp. Grated peeled fresh ginger shopping list
- 4 (7 x 8") nori sheets shopping list
- ½ cucumber, peeled and cut into thin strips shopping list
- ½ avocado, peeled, pitted, and cut into thin strips shopping list
- 4 ounces surimi (imitation crab), cut into thin strips shopping list
- pickled ginger (optional) shopping list
How to make it
- In a medium saucepan, bring the water and rice to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, covered, until the rice is tender and the liquid is absorbed, about 20 minutes. Transfer the rice to a large bowl. Stir in the vinegar and sesame seeds. Let stand until cool enough to handle.
- Meanwhile, to prepare the wasabi dipping sauce, in a small bowl, whisk together the warm water, soy sauce, wasabi powder, sesame oil, and grated ginger until blended. Set aside.
- Place a sheet of nori lengthwise, shiny-side down, onto rolling mat. Dampen hands with water and spread 1 cup of the rice mixture onto the nori, leaving a ½" deep indentation crosswise along the centre of the rice; place one-quarter each of the cucumber, avocado and surimi into the groove of the rice.
- Hold the filling in place with your fingers as you curl the mat forward with your thumbs until the two ends o the nori overlap, forming a cylinder. Applying gentle but even pressure to the mat, remove the roll from the mat. Cut into 6 pieces with a very sharp knife, moistening knife with water between each cut. (Really, you have to sharpen your knife well before cutting these!) Repeat with the remaining nori, rice, cucumber, avocado, and surimi. Serve rolls with the dipping sauce, pickled ginger (if using) and extra wasabi paste. Serving = 4 pieces with 1 ½ tsps. Dipping sauce = 314 cal, 4 g. fat, 6 points