Sicilian Sausage Stuffed PizzaFrom auntybea 7 years ago
- ½ lb. fully cooked italian sausage coarsely chopped shopping list
- 1 lb. fresh mushrooms, sliced shopping list
- 1 medium onion, chopped shopping list
- 1 large garlic clove, minced shopping list
- ½ cup shredded mozzarella cheese shopping list
- 1/4 cup ricotta cheese shopping list
- 1/4 cup grated Romano or parmesan cheese shopping list
- About 1 lb. Fresh pizza dough (enough for two pizzas) at room temperature shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat oven to 500 F.
- Spray a large nonstick skillet with nonstick spray and set over medium-high heat. Add the sausage and cook until lightly browned, about 5 minutes; transfer to a bowl. Add the mushrooms and onion to the skillet. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the mushrooms give off liquid, it evaporates and the mushrooms are golden, about 10 minutes. Stir in the garlic and cook 1 minute. Add mushroom mixture to sausage; let cool. Stir in mozzarella, ricotta and Romano cheeses.
- Sprinkle a work surface lightly with flour. Turn the dough onto the surface; knead lightly. Cut the dough in half. With a lightly floured rolling pin, roll one half into a think 12" circle. Transfer to circle of dough to a nonstick pizza pan or large baking sheet, gently pulling the dough back to a 12" circle. Spread the filling onto the dough, t 3/4 “ from the edge. Brush around the outer edge with water.
- Roll the remaining dough into a 12" circle and place on top of the filling. Press the edges together to seal, then crimp the edges. Cut 5 (2") slits in the top of the dough. Bake until the crust is golden, about 15 minutes. Let cool 5 to 10 minutes and serve hot, or let the pie cool on a rack and serve at room temperature.