Vegan Marshmallows Yes You Heard RightFrom veryvegan 5 years ago
How to make it
- In a bowl, place 1/2 c of the water and the vegan gelatin. Let sit 1 hr.
- About half an hour after doing that, begin to prepare a syrup. In heavy pan over low, add remaining 1/2 c water, sugar, corn syrup, and salt.
- Blend until dissolved.
- When the mixture starts to boil, cover for 3 minutes to allow crystals that have formed to be washed away. Be careful not to let the mixture boil over.
- Continue to cook uncovered and unstirred over high heat to the firm-ball stage (244 degrees F). Overcooking makes the marshmallows tough.
- Remove the mixture from heat and pour slowly over the gelatin, beating constantly with an electric mixer. Continue to beat about 15 minutes after all the syrup has been added. While beating, when the mixture is thick but still smooth, add vanilla.
- Put the mixture into an 8 x 12 in pan that has been lightly dusted with cornstarch. Dust the top with cornstarch and set aside.
- When it has dried for 12 hours, remove it from the pan, cut it into square with scissors dusted with cornstarch, and store the fully dusted pieces in a closed tin.
- Makes 1 3/4 lbs