Chili Texas StyleFrom daking 4 years ago
- 3 lbs. Very good quality stew meat (i am spoiled my butcher knows when i am making chili) Cut into small bite sized cubes. shopping list
- 3 lbs. Very good quality ground beef (once again my butcher knows what i am looking for and he makes it perfect.) shopping list
- 1 Large yellow onion shopping list
- 4 Large garlic cloves shopping list
- 2 Cans (15 oz )tomatoes and green chili's shopping list
- chili powder to taste (i never measure this i add until its right) maybe 1\2 cup shopping list
- salt to taste (About 1 table spoon) shopping list
- pepper to taste (about 1 teaspoon full) shopping list
- 1 teaspoon cumin shopping list
- 1\4 teaspoon oregano shopping list
- 1\2 Teaspoon red pepper (cayenne) omit this if you want Mild chili shopping list
- I can (15 oz ) ranch style beans (optional) shopping list
- 2 Tablespoons oil for browning the beef shopping list
- Ok heres the optional ingredients.... Jalapeno` peppers I use habaneros when i want to Kick this up a notch. Add these to your taste !!! shopping list
How to make it
- Start by chopping the Onion and Garlic to a fine dice.
- In a large stock pot heat the oil and add the cubed Beef. I cook this at a high heat to brown the meat. About 15 minutesAdd the Ground Beef and brown this as well. The beef i use does not need draining but drain as needed the excess fat.
- Next add the Onions and Garlic and reduce the heat you do not want to burn these.I usually cook this about 10 minutes.
- Now i add the tomatoes and chilis.and the rest of the dry ingredients.Time to decide about the peppers as well.
- I did not list this in ingredients but its time for liquid .Beer works good (wink) or just add water to get the desired consistancy you desire.
- Simmer this for at least 3 hours (i cook this all day and eat it the next day usually)
- I love beans in my chili now is the time to add them before serving.As you can probably tell from my recipes i don't measure that often ....i cook to taste MINE please do the same for yourselves.I use the two different meats because i love the difference in textures.
- I serve this with Hot Water Cornbread or i serve this over White Rice with crackers.
The Cookdaking San Marcos, TX
The Rating4 people
sounds delicious, I will have to give this a try.debwin in Toronto loved it
Great chili recipe! Saving to try when chili season is here!sparow64 in Sweetwater loved it
Woo haa! Good! I notice no BEANS! I learned that the hard way... served what I thought was chili .. had beans in it.. Not here! LOL.. I still make it that way too. Great recipe...linebb956 in La Feria loved it