Polish Beetroot Soup - BarszczFrom lor 6 years ago
- 2 litres beef stock or vegetable stock shopping list
- 1 large onion, peeled and chopped shopping list
- 1 bouquet garni (your choice of herbs) shopping list
- 1 can mushrooms, or fresh or as my Mother-in-law did, she took a small handful of dehydrated mushrooms from Poland and soaked them overnight. shopping list
- 3 uncooked medium-sized beetroots, peeled and sliced thickly shopping list
- 300 ml kwas - ascorbic acid shopping list
- 1 tsp. sugar shopping list
- sour cream and homemade croutons to garnish shopping list
How to make it
- Heat beef stock in a large saucepan.
- Add onion, bouquet garni, mushrooms and sliced beetroot.
- Boil on medium high heat for 1 hour.
- Strain the soup and stir the kwas into the clear soup.
- Add sugar to taste and reheat if necessary without boiling.
- Serves 8.
- Note: My Mother-in-law always added small little meat ravioli's or tortellini to the Barszcz.
- You can add vegetables such as celery, carrot, potato or parsnip - roughly chopped.
The Cooklor Toronto, Canada
The Rating5 people
sounds great thanksmomo_55grandma in Mountianview loved it
Different from the "Borscht" I'm used to eating, but it sounds delicious!auntybea in Vernon loved it
Another great polish recipe, your on a roll, you have my 5 on this one too. Thanks for the great post.henrie in Savannah loved it