Nanas Homemade Chili SauceFrom crabhappychick 6 years ago
- 1 gallon ripe tomatoes (6 1/4 pounds) shopping list
- 2 cups onion, chopped shopping list
- 2 cups sweet red pepper, chopped shopping list
- 3 tablespoons salt shopping list
- 1 tablespoon mustard seed shopping list
- 1 tablespoon celery seed shopping list
- 3 tablespoons pickling spice shopping list
- 2 bay leaves shopping list
- 1 1/2 cups sugar shopping list
- 2 1/2 cups vinegar shopping list
How to make it
- Wash tomatoes; remove stems & crush. Combine all ingredients, except spices & vinegar, in a preserving kettle. Cook over high heat to boiling, adjust heat to medium. Cook for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Strain off 1 quart surplus liquid - use for soup. Tie spices in a bag. Add to tomato mixture. Cook until thick, stirring frequently to prevent sticking. Add vinegar; cook until right consistency, or until all excess liquid has disappeared
- Remove spice bag.
- Pour into sterilized jars & seal.
- NOTE: These directions are exactly as my grandmother wrote them down. This stuff really is the best!
The Cookcrabhappychick Pittsburgh, PA
The Rating2 people
Wonderful recipe! Just like my mother's recipe! It is delicious! If you haven't tried homemade Chili Sauce, then you are missing some fabulous flavors!rosemaryblue in CollegeTown loved it
Got my five! I make my own condiments for the most part, and this will be a lovely addition! Technique is very similar to the ketchup I make. Thank you so much for the generous post!shine in Rainier loved it