Shammi KebabFrom jencathen 7 years ago
- 2 onions, finely chopped shopping list
- 9 oz lean lamb, boned and cubed shopping list
- 2 oz chana dhal or yellow split peas shopping list
- 1 tsp cumin seeds shopping list
- 1 tsp garam masala shopping list
- 4-6 fresh green chiles shopping list
- 2 inch piece fresh ginger root, grated shopping list
- 3/4 cup water shopping list
- Fresh cilantro and mint leaves , chopped plus extra sprigs for garnish shopping list
- juice of 1 lemon shopping list
- 1 TBSP gram (besan) flour shopping list
- 2 eggs, beaten shopping list
- vegetable oil shopping list
- salt shopping list
How to make it
- Put the first seven ingredients and the water into a large pan with salt and bring to a boil. Simmer, covered, until the meat and dhal are cooked.
- Remove the lid and continue to cook for a few more minutes, to reduce the excess liquid. Set aside to cool.
- Transfer the cooled meat and dhal mixture to a food processor or blender and process to a rough paste.
- Put the paste into a large mixing bowl and add the chopped cilantro and mint leaves, lemon juice and gram (besan) flour. Knead well with your hands to make sure the ingredients are evenly distributed.
- Divide the mixture into 10-12 even size portion and use your hand to roll each into a ball, then flatten slightly (the size an shape is like a crab cake).
- Chill for 1 hour.
- Heat vegetable oil in pan. I put about 1/4 inch deep in a frying pan.
- Dip the kebabs in the beaten egg and pan fry each side until golden brown. Pat dry on paper towels and serve hot.