Homemade Vanilla Custard Ice CreamFrom lara38 6 years ago
How to make it
- Cook milk in a heavy saucepan over med. heat, stirring often, just til bubbles appear; remove from heat and add vanilla bean; cover and let stand for 20 minutes. Take out vanilla bean.
- Whisk together yolks and next 3 ingredients in a large bowl until thick . Gradually whisk milk mixture into yolk mixture; return to saucepan.
- Cook over very low heat, stirring constantly; 5 minutes or until mixture thickens and coats a spoon. Remove from heat and pour through strainer into a bowl. Cool, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in cream; cover and chill 1 hour.
- Pour mixture into freezer container of a 1 gallon electric freezer. Freeze according to freezer instructions.
- Let stand 1 hour before serving.