New England Clam ChowderFrom fluffy24 6 years ago
- 4 slices bacon or salt pork shopping list
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion shopping list
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled, diced shopping list
- 1 tablespoon all purpose flour shopping list
- 2 cans (6 oz. each) minced clams or you can use fresh shopping list
- 1 cup bottled clam juice shopping list
- 1cup half- and -half shopping list
- salt and pepper, to taste shopping list
- 1/2 cup whipping cream, optional shopping list
- 2 tablespoons fresh dill finely chopped shopping list
How to make it
- In a large heavy saucepan or skillet, saute bacon or pork until brown and crisp. Remove. Drain on paper towels. Dice or crumble
- In same skillet saute chopped onion and potatoes for a couple of minutes. Sprinkle with flour.
- Add clam juice from cans and from bottle. Stir to combine. Bring to a boil. Simmer, stirring from time to time, until potatoes are soft, abot 15 minutes. ( Red potatoes work best)
- Add half-and-half and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Add minced clams. Heat until simmering. Do Not Boil.
- Add whipping cream, if used. Sprinkle with dill. You can sprinkle with diced pork or bacon if desired. Serve immediately