Chicken With Flour Tortilla DumplingsFrom chatombreux 4 years ago
- 1 (3 lb.) chicken, cut up (I used 3 boneless, skinless breasts) shopping list
- water to cover (I filled the Dutch oven leaving room for the chicken) shopping list
- salt and a few peppercorns (I used regular pepper and added poultry seasoning) shopping list
- 1/2 c. chopped celery shopping list
- 1/2 c. sliced carrots (I didn't use carrots) shopping list
- 1/2 c. chopped onion (I used a whole, but small onion) shopping list
- 4 or 5 flour tortillas, cut in strips (I used the entire package of tortillas) shopping list
How to make it
- Place chicken pieces in 3 quart pot with water to cover.
- Add salt and peppercorns and any other desired seasoning with celery, carrots, and onion.
- Add 2 or 3 teaspoons instant chicken bouillon or chicken seasoned stock base, if desired.
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat.
- Cover and simmer 1 hour or until meat falls from bones, skimming as necessary. (I didn't cook this long since mine didn't have skin or bones - removed chicken as soon as it was cooked. Very tender!)
- Meanwhile, dust tortilla strips with flour.
- With tongs, remove vegetables and bones. (I used a slotted straining spoon.)
- Bring stock to a boil.
- Add tortilla strips and boil 5 minutes.
- Cover and steam 5 more minutes. (I allowed a longer cooking time for the broth to thicken and the dough to be cooked all the way through.)
- Hint: You can cut your vegetables in big pieces as they are easier to remove, but I allowed some of my diced veggies to remain in the broth. Also, keep checking on this as it is easy for the broth to reduce too much and the dough to stick to the bottom. You want it very stew like, easily scooped, not too thick and doughy. You also don't want it too soupy.