Carrot and Red Lentil SoupFrom bellarosa 5 years ago
- 3 tablespoons butter shopping list
- 2 medium onions or leeks, chopped shopping list
- 3 large carrots, chopped shopping list
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped shopping list
- 1 & 1/2 cups red lentils [or other] shopping list
- 1 can tomatoes, or 4 fresh tomatoes roughly chopped shopping list
- 7 cups vegetable stock shopping list
- 1 teaspoon powdered cumin shopping list
- 1 teaspoon powdered coriander shopping list
- salt and pepper to taste shopping list
How to make it
- Heat butter in a large pot over medium heat. Add onion and carrots and cook for a few minutes, stirring. Add the garlic in a space in the middle of the pan and cook for another minute, stirring.
- Add the stock, lentils and tomatoes, and bring just to the boil. Simmer with the lid slightly ajar for about 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Using a hand blender, puree the soup leaving it slightly chunky, then add the cumin, coriander, salt and pepper. Cook over medium heat another five minutes.
- For variation, add some curry powder or ginger for a different flavour. Extra tomato adds more tang and reduces the need for salt.
- Serve with anything you like - crusty bread and butter, sour cream, yogurt, chopped parsley or grated parmesan.