Portuguese SopasFrom rcgraham 7 years ago
- · 4 pounds chuck roast shopping list
- · 2 soup bones shopping list
- · 1 onion, chopped shopping list
- · 4 cloves garlic shopping list
- · 1 TBS whole cumin shopping list
- · 1 tsp whole allspice shopping list
- · 1 tsp whole cloves shopping list
- · 4 bay leaves shopping list
- · 1/2 cup white wine shopping list
- · 1-1/2 TBS worcestershire sauce shopping list
- · 12 cups water shopping list
- · 1 can (8 oz) tomato sauce shopping list
- · 1 head cabbage cut into four wedges shopping list
- · 2 sprigs of mint shopping list
- · salt and pepper to taste shopping list
- · 1 loaf French bread (plain — not sweet or sourdough) shopping list
How to make it
- **It is important that the French bread is day old (hard), as this helps to prevent it falling apart and becoming mush once the sopa is poured over it).**
- Cut meat into 3-by-3 inch pieces.
- Place whole spices — cumin, allspice and cloves — in a cloth bag. (Brand-new, white baby socks can be used as the cloth bag. Just put the spices in and tie the sock in a knot.)
- Boil meat with soup bones, onion, garlic, spices in cloth bag, wine, Worcestershire sauce and tomato sauce until meat is tender.
- Add cabbage wedges to pot and simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Skim fat from top of liquid.
- In bowl, place thick sliced day old French bread with mint on top. Over this, pour hot juice from pot.
- In a bowl, pour sopa over thick sliced bread.
- (Note: Worcestershire sauce is not used in all festa sopas; unlike this recipe, chicken base is used. These two differences make for more brothy-colored sopas, which is more like the sopas served in the Azores.)
The Cookrcgraham Arroyo Grande, CA
The Rating1 people
- Not added to any groups yet!