Spicey Vegan SausagesFrom midgelet 7 years ago
- 1, 6 1/2 oz box vital wheat gluten shopping list
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast ( not brewers! ) shopping list
- OR use dry Vegan grated cheese ( Parmesan flavor ) shopping list
- 1/4 cup besan / chickpea flour shopping list
- 2 Tbs vegan chicken seasoning ( salt and sugar feee ) or a similar all purpose seasoning shopping list
- 2 Tbs granulated onion shopping list
- 1 tsp garlic powder shopping list
- 1 to 2 Tbs fennel seed ( optional ) shopping list
- 2 tsp coarse ground black pepper shopping list
- 2 tsp paprika ( may leave out if desired - but keep the smoked kind for the recipe ) shopping list
- 1 tsp smoked paprika ( different than regular paprika- gives a smokey spicy flavor )- don't leave out shopping list
- 1 tsp dried chili flakes shopping list
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano shopping list
- 1 tsp salt shopping list
- 1/8 tsp ground allspice shopping list
- 2 1/4 cups cool tap water shopping list
- 6 to 8 garlic cloves minced or 1 tsp garlic powder shopping list
- 2 Tbs extra virgin olive oil, walnut oil is also nice shopping list
- 2 Tbsp. soy sauce ( use low salt if desired ) shopping list
How to make it
- In a large bowl combine all the dry ingredients.
- Whisk in the water, garlic, oil, soy sauce and seasonings.
- It should eventually come together like soft putty.
- if you haven't worked with wheat gluten before, it's an interesting texture, something almost like playdough.
- If too dry add a small amt of water, like a Tbs or so
- Now scoop out portions ( say 1/2 cup at a time) and roll into a hot dog shape .
- I rolled mine out 3 to 6 inches long and a bit over an inch wide.
- Place on foil and roll up and twist edges ro seal.
- Repeat with remaining mixture.
- Place these in a steamer. ( I had a canning pot with steaming tray)
- You need to steam and these do not come in contact with the water ).
- In about 20 to 30 minutes you'll see these are puffed up in the foil.
- Remove to rack to cool completely in the foil to cool.
- Then unwrap and chilled covered in a container.
- The texture should be of meat sausages, same firm consistency, soft sausage texture, meaning they can be sliced just like sausages
- Yied: 1 got 9 fat sasauges using the measurements above
- Note: one can also form these into patties instead of sausage shapes if desired.
The Cookmidgelet Eastern, USA
The Rating1 people
Like the photo of sausages, looks really good, also like the photo of your dog too!herby in Albany loved it