Southern Red Tomato GravyFrom dmajor 8 years ago
- 1/4 cup bacon grease or shortening.(you can also use oil) shopping list
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup all purpose flour shopping list
- 1 can of whole tomatoes with liquid(crush tomatoes with your hands or using a food processor) shopping list
- 2 tablespoons butter shopping list
- salt and pepper to taste shopping list
- 1/2 cup of water shopping list
How to make it
- In large cast iron skillet, heat bacon grease or shortening
- Stir in flour and lower heat to med. low
- Keep stirring to brown flour to a dark roux stage.
- Be careful not to burn roux. This takes a little while so don't try to hurry it up.
- When flour gets to the dark roux stage, slowly stir in tomatoes with liquid.
- Add water a little at a time while stirring tomato gravy.
- Season with salt and pepper and simmer on low for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Before serving, add butter and stir.
- Serve over fresh baked homemade biscuits with a little extra butter on top! (canned biscuits don't work well with this dish!)
The Cookdmajor Slidell, LA
The Rating4 people
I have had this before when traveling, nothing like southern style biscuits and gravy
Michaeltrigger in loved it
Yummers over rice too my friend!! Love it
in 'the hills' :) ^ ^ ^ ^ ^5!lanacountry in Macon loved it