Favorite Black Bean SoupFrom crabhappychick 6 years ago
- 3 cups dried black beans, picked over shopping list
- 1 ham bones, with lots of meat on it shopping list
- 2 cups onion, chopped fine shopping list
- 3 large garlic cloves, minced shopping list
- 1 tablespoon cumin shopping list
- 2 carrots, diced shopping list
- 1 can tomatoes with green chilies, rotel shopping list
- 8 cups water shopping list
- 4 cups chicken broth shopping list
- 1 teaspoon chipotle chile powder shopping list
- Crazy salt to taste shopping list
- fresh ground black pepper shopping list
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar shopping list
How to make it
- In a soup pot simmer beans, ham bone, onion, garlic, cumin, water, and broth, partially covered, until beans are tender, about 1 hour. (I usually do this longer - maybe twice as long or more.) Transfer hambone to plate and cool. Cut away ham, discarding bone and fat.
- Transfer 1 1/2 cups each beans and cooking liquid to a blender or food processor and let cool slightly. Puree mixture and return to pot. Stir in ham, vinegar, sugar, and salt and pepper to taste and simmer. Taste and adjust seasonings.
- Serve soup with a dollop of sour cream.
The Cookcrabhappychick Pittsburgh, PA
The Rating3 people
Oh wow, this one sounds as good as the other one you posted. Yummers. You have my 5.chefmeow in Garland loved it
Black Bean soup is one of my all time favorites. My mom used to make it all the time and I can't ever quite match hers, this looks like a close approximation. YUMnotyourmomma in South St. Petersburg loved it