Vinegar CandyFrom 22566 7 years ago
How to make it
- Oil a marble slab or a baking sheet.
- In a heavy,3-quart saucepan,combine the sugar,vinegar,and butter and stir well.
- Place over medium heat and bring to a boil,stirring constantly,until the sugar is dissolved.
- Cover and boil for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Uncover and insert a candy thermometer in the pan.
- Increase the heat to medium-high and cook,stirring occasionally,until the temperature reaches 260 F.
- If sugar crystals form on the pan sided,brush them down with a pastry brush dipped in warm water.
- Turn the mixture onto the prepared work surface,and let cool until it is lukewarm and can be handled comfortably, about 5 to 10 minutes.
- Butter your hands and pull the taffy with you fingerstips until it is white,light, and porous,10 to 15 minutes.
- Stretct it into a rope about 1" in diameter, and snip into 1" pieces with oiled scissors.
- Pack the pieces between sheets of waxed paper in an airtight container.
- Store at room temperature for up to 2 weeks
- Makes about 40 pieces
The Cook22566 TX
The Rating3 people
This recipe brings back such wonderful memories from my childhood. This was a special treat that we would make with my mother. I also made it with my kids when they were all home. To this day they want to make it when they visit. I love the taste of ...moreshiela1953 in Hancock loved it
have heard of this never made it sounds easy thanksmomo_55grandma in Mountianview loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!