Sweet And Sour Tempeh On Brown RiceFrom wildjoy 5 years ago
- 1/2 lb package tempeh shopping list
- 1 cup vegetable broth shopping list
- 3 tablespoons tamari or soy sauce shopping list
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil shopping list
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil shopping list
- 1 can pineapple chunks (retain juice) shopping list
- 2/3 cup water shopping list
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped shopping list
- 1 onion, chopped shopping list
- 1 stalk celery, chopped shopping list
- 1 carrot, chopped shopping list
- 1 tablespoon raw sugar or pure maple syrup shopping list
- 2 tablespoons arrowroot or cornstarch shopping list
- 1/4 cup vinegar shopping list
- 6 cups cooked brown rice shopping list
How to make it
- Cut the tempeh into 1/2 inch cubes.
- Mix broth and tamari in a saucepan.
- Add the tempeh cubes and let them poach for about 10 minutes on medium heat. Don't stir too often or the cubes will break apart.
- Scoop tempeh from broth mixture and set aside. Reserve the broth mixture for sauce.
- Heat oils in a skillet on medium-high heat. Add drained tempeh and stir-fry until lightly browned. Scoop tempeh out of pan and set aside.
- In a saucepan combine the broth/tamari mixture, water, pineapple juice, sugar, bell pepper, onion, celery and carrot. Heat on medium-high for about 3 minutes stirring often.
- Stir cornstarch into vinegar and pour it into the sauce, stirring constantly. Heat and stir until thick and bubbly.
- Stir in pineapple chunks and tempeh.
- Serve over brown rice.
The Cookwildjoy Valley Springs, CA
The Rating3 people
This was my very first Tempeh dish (my son's too). I am happy to say it was a success! I added a smidge more sweetener to mimic take out sweet and sour sauce. It was delicious! The sesame oil and soy sauce really made the tempeh tasty! Thanks! Highl...morelelumarsha in loved it
Definitely easy to do and a great looking and tasting dish. my carnivore husband went back for seconds. A bit too sweet for us with the pineapple juice and the sugar and i think the soy/salt was off for us too as the only tempeh that i can find here ...morebloomflyshine in perth loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!