Fresh Artichokes With DipFrom abermouse 7 years ago
- 2 artichokes, or one for each guest if you are having company...make more dip as needed for guests shopping list
- water shopping list
- 1 stalk celery shopping list
- A few shakes of seasoned salt for water shopping list
- For Dip: shopping list
- 1/2 cup mayo shopping list
- 1-2 tbsp worcestershire sauce to taste shopping list
- 1 tsp lemon juice shopping list
- dash hot sauce if desired shopping list
How to make it
- Cut artichoke stems off at base. Then take scissors and snip off tip of each leaf until the leaf is cut straight on top.
- Place chokes in pot with enough water to cover them half way up
- Add celery stalk to water, add artichoke stems and seasoned salt.
- Cook , covered, for 45 min, turn heat down some after full boil to a simmer.
- Once the bottom is tender when stuck with fork, and leaves pull off easily, they are done.
- Mix remainined ingredients in a small bowl for dipping
- To eat, pull off each leaf, dip end of leaf in the dip and scrape the "meat" off the end of each leaf with your teeth, then discard scraped leaves into another bowl...wait, there's more! When the mature leaves are all gone off the choke, there is the heart at the bottom to clean and enjoy.
- To get the heart of the choke cleaned, pull off all of the "baby" leaves until you see the fuzz on top of the artichoke heart. Pull the fuzz off with your fingers, or take a spoon and scrape it away. Artichoke bottom is left by itself and can be immediately eaten with the dip...but if you clean these and save them you can bake them with a filling in the oven too.
- Artichokes are healthy and make a great appetizer or side. Other dip option is just garlic butter wth salt, pepper and lemon juice