Caldo De RezFrom littlesponger 8 years ago
- 4 beef shanks or Ox tail bone shopping list
- 3 pounds of Shoulder roast trimmed and cut into 1 inch pieces (more or less) shopping list
- 1 1/2 med onion, coarsely chopped shopping list
- 2 stocks of chopped celery (optional) shopping list
- 3 carrots, cleaned and chopped into 1 inch pieces shopping list
- 5 large potatoes skinned and cubed, (russets) shopping list
- 2 cobs of corn, cleaned and cut into 3rds shopping list
- 2 cloves of garlic shopping list
- 2 med ripe tomato, quartered shopping list
- 2 med Tatuma squash, cut into 1 1/2 inch pieces (optional) shopping list
- 1/2 head of cabbage, quartered shopping list
- 3 tablespoons chopped cilantro shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin shopping list
- salt and pepper to taste shopping list
- 1 lime shopping list
How to make it
- Start with a large stock pot filled a third of the way with water and add shanks, beef shoulder and salt. (Do not cover the pot!!!)
- When it starts boil - skim the top of the pot of any foam or impurities every 5 mins, until there is no more foam(about 20 mins).
- Next add onions, celery, and tomato garlic. Allow soup to cook for about 45 mins( skim any impurities or foam you see).
- Add potatoes, carrots and corn cover and cook for about 30 more minutes. Add more water if necessary.
- Remove shanks, add squash, cabbage and pepper, cumin. Allow to cook for 15 to 20 mins. Remove from heat, add cilantro.
- Serving suggestions.
- At my mom's home, she removes most of the meat from the pot and places it in the middle of the table. This allows the carnivorous easy access.
The Cooklittlesponger LA CRESCENTA, CA
The Rating2 people
I like the sound of this soup! I love all things Mexican & will be making this as soon as the weather cools down. Thanks!busmamawilliams in Clifton loved it