Sweet potato Gratin with Optional Carmelized OnionFrom jencathen 6 years ago
- Ingredients shopping list
- 1kg/1lb 2oz sweet potatoes, peeled and sliced thinly - 1/8 inch thick shopping list
- 2 tbsp olive oil shopping list
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped shopping list
- 1/2-1 red chili (depending on variety and heat strength), chopped shopping list
- finely (or 1 tsp dried chili flakes) I use the chili flakes. shopping list
- 250ml/8fl oz heavy cream shopping list
- salt and black pepper shopping list
- Optional caramelized Onion: shopping list
- 1 lb. onion thinly sliced shopping list
- 2 TBSP butter shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat oven to 180C/350F/Gas 5
- In a large mixing bowl toss the sweet potato slices with the oil and all the other ingredients including the optional caramelized onions (directions below) until the slices are well coated and the garlic and chili well-distributed.
- Transfer to a lightly oiled gratin dish, spreading out the slices with your fingertips, you do not have to layer the gratin piece by piece, but try to ensure that the slices are mostly lying flat.
- Pour over any cream remaining in the bowl and trickle the remaining oil over the gratin.
- Bake for 40-50 minutes until the sweet potato is completely tender and the top is browned and crispy.
- For extra crispness you can finish under the broiler for 1-2 minutes
- Optional Caramelized Onion:
- Heat butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onions and reduce heat to medium low. Stir occasionally.
- Cook until browned about 30 to 40 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Note: If someone in the house doesn't like a little spice just omit the chili.