Yellow Squash Buttermilk BisqueFrom crabhappychick 5 years ago
- 3 tablespoons olive oil shopping list
- 2 medium-size leeks, cleaned, and light green and white parts finely chopped shopping list
- 6 yellow summer squash, thinly slice shopping list
- 2 cloves garlic, minced shopping list
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste shopping list
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable stock shopping list
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice shopping list
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped basil shopping list
- 2 tablespoon finely chopped chives shopping list
- 1 cup buttermilk shopping list
- 2 tablespoons finely shredded basil, for garnish shopping list
How to make it
- In a large soup pot, heat the oil over medium heat. Saute the leeks for 5 to 7 minutes or until softened. Add the squash and saute for another 5 minutes or until lightly browned. Add the garlic and cook for another minute. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the stock and cook the soup, covered, for about 15 minutes, or until the squash is tender. Process the soup with a hand blender in the pot or in the blender until pureed.
- Pour into a bowl. Place in the refrigerator and chill for at least 4 hours.
- Right before serving, add the lemon juice, basil, chives and buttermilk. Season with salt and pepper. Taste for seasoning. Chilled soups usually need more seasoning, because the chilling process reduces the flavor. You can always add some extra liquid to re-create the proper texture and thickness.
- To serve, ladle into soup bowls and garnish with shredded basil.