Penne with Creamy Tomato Vodka SauceFrom chefsuz 5 years ago
- 1 (16-oz) package whole-wheat blend penne pasta (i.e.. Barilla Plus) shopping list
- 2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil shopping list
- 3/4 cup chopped sweet onion shopping list
- 1 Tbsp. minced or chopped garlic shopping list
- 28-oz. can Italian-style diced tomatoes (or similar) shopping list
- 1 tsp. crushed red pepper shopping list
- 3/4 cup chopped fresh basil shopping list
- salt and pepper to taste shopping list
- 1/4 cup vodka shopping list
- 1 cup fat free half and half shopping list
- 1 cup low fat milk shopping list
- 1/2 cup shredded or grated fresh parmesan cheese shopping list
How to make it
- Start a large pot of lightly salted water boiling. Add the pasta and cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until al dente. Drain the noodles in a colander.
- Meanwhile, start heating the olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and saute until tender (about 2-3 minutes). Stir in the canned tomatoes (breaking up the tomatoes with a fork if using canned whole tomatoes). Stir in the crushed red pepper, basil, salt and pepper, bring to a gentle boil, then reduce heat to simmer and let cook for 8-10 minutes or more.
- Stir in the vodka and simmer 10 minutes more. Stir the half and half and milk into the tomato mixture and let the mixture simmer another 8-10 minutes. Toss the sauce with the hot penne pasta and sprinkle each serving with Parmesan cheese.