Ridiculously Easy Cream of Tomato SoupFrom snowpea 7 years ago
- 2 Tablespoons butter or oil (or mix of both) shopping list
- 1 onion, very finely chopped shopping list
- 2 Tablespoons unbleached flour shopping list
- 2 cups reduced fat milk (1%), warmed in the microwave shopping list
- 1 28 oz. can crushed tomatoes shopping list
- a generous splash of worcestershire sauce (if you're vegetarian, omit that) shopping list
- a handful of finely chopped fresh herbs to garnish (I use lovage, tarragon, parsley or chives, depending on what's growing in the garden) shopping list
How to make it
- Sauté onion in butter or oil over medium heat until soft and transparent.
- Sprinkle with flour gradually and work carefully to moisten flour without creating lumps.
- Add the cups of warm milk and stir until mixture thickens.
- Purée with wand mixer to remove any lumps and crush the onions.
- Add can of tomatoes and Worcestershire sauce
- Heat through and stir well.
- You can purée the soup entirely with the wand mixer if you prefer a smoother soup (which I do)
- Taste and adjust seasonings with salt, sugar
The Cooksnowpea CA
The Rating1 people
Delicious and wonderful soup. Really fresh and flavorful. I liked it pureed best.snufflebunny15 in Tierra Verde loved it