Southern Fried Chicken And GravyFrom cookingwithlisa 5 years ago
- 2-1/2 to 3 lbs. of chicken, cut into peices shopping list
- 1 c. buttermilk (or 1 cup of milk with 1 T. vingegar) shopping list
- 1 c. flour shopping list
- 2 tsp. salt shopping list
- 1 tsp. pepper shopping list
- oil for frying shopping list
- To make the Gravy: shopping list
- 3 T. flour shopping list
- 1 c. milk shopping list
- 1 c. water shopping list
- 1 to 2 tsp. salt shopping list
- 1/2 to 1 tsp. pepper shopping list
How to make it
- Place the chicken into a large ziplock bag. Add buttermilk and refrigerate for 1 hour. In another ziplock bag, combine the flour, salt and pepper. Toss the chicken, one at a time, in the flour and place on wax paper for 15 minutes. Heat about 1/2 inch of oil in a skillet. Add chicken and brown on both sides. Reduce heat, cover and cook the chicken for 25-30 minutes. Turn the chicken every 5 minutes. Remove the chicken and pour out the oil leaving about 1/4 cup of drippings with the crunchies.
- To make the Gravy:
- In the hot drippings, stir in the flour, salt and pepper. Add the milk and water. Stir and cook until it reaches your desired thickness.
The Cookcookingwithlisa Greensboro, NC
The Rating8 people
I've always had problems making fried chicken, I usually let the Colonel do it! Does it matter which side, bone or skin that you put down first?morninlite in Kalamazoo loved it
Finally a fried chicken recipe that I can work with. Thanks Lisa :)coffeebean53 in Charlotte loved it
great comfort food - yummy!!jett2whit in Union City loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!