Paula Deens French Onion SoupFrom cardinal54 5 years ago
- 8 onions, sliced shopping list
- 2 cloves garlic, minced shopping list
- 1/3 cup olive oil shopping list
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour shopping list
- 8 cups beef stock shopping list
- 1/4 cup dry white wine shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme shopping list
- 1 bay leaf shopping list
- salt and pepper shopping list
- 1 loaf French bread shopping list
- 2 cups grated gruyere shopping list
How to make it
- Saute onions and garlic in oil over low heat until tender and golden yellow.
- Sprinkle flour over onions, cook a few minutes more, browning the flour well.
- Add stock and wine and bring to a boil, add thyme and bay leaf. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer gently for 20 minutes or so.
- Add salt and pepper, to taste.
- Meanwhile, slice French bread into 3/4-inch slices and butter both sides.
- Toast slices on griddle until golden brown.
- Ladle soup into an ovenproof bowl, add toasted bread and cover with cheese.
- Place ovenproof bowl on a baking sheet lined with tin foil.
- Bake at 350 degrees F or 5 minutes under a hot broiler