Mousse au ChocolatFrom crispy_crocodile 6 years ago
- 8 ounces bittersweet or semisweet chocolate, chopped shopping list
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter shopping list
- 3 large eggs, separated shopping list
- 1/4 cup super fine sugar shopping list
- 1 1/4 cups cold heavy cream shopping list
- 1/4 cup Grand Marnier shopping list
- Small chocolate shavings or chocolate nibs, for garnish shopping list
How to make it
- In the top of a double boiler or in a bowl set over a pot of hot water, melt the chocolate and butter, stirring. Remove from the heat and beat with a heavy wooden spoon until smooth. Return to the heat and 1 at a time, add the yolks, beating well after the addition of each. Remove from the heat and transfer to a large bowl.
- In a clean bowl, beat the egg whites until soft peaks start to form. Add 2 tablespoons of the sugar and beat until stiff.
- In a third bowl, beat the cream until it becomes frothy. Add the remaining 2 tablespoons sugar and the Grand Marnier and continue beating until it holds soft peaks.
- Fold the egg whites into the chocolate mixture until no white speaks appear. Gradually fold in the whipped cream, reserving about 1/2 cup for garnish.
- Transfer to a large decorative silver or glass bowl and refrigerate until well chilled.
- To serve, spoon the reserved whipped cream on top and garnish with chocolate shavings.