Calabash Shrimp Casserole with Sherried CreamFrom docjoe 8 years ago
- 1 1/2 pounds Calabash (baby/small) shrimp shopping list
- 1 stick butter, divided shopping list
- 1/2 pound brie cheese, skin removed shopping list
- 1 large onion, chopped shopping list
- 3 ribs celery, chopped shopping list
- 1/2 pound mushrooms, chopped shopping list
- Zest of two lemons shopping list
- 1 tsp. salt shopping list
- 1/2 tsp. white pepper shopping list
- 1/3 cup cornbread stuffing, plus more for topping shopping list
- 2 Tbl. corn starch, stirred into 1/4 cup heavy cream shopping list
- 3 Tbl. mayonnaise shopping list
- 1 Tbl. sherry (use what you have, dry or sweet) shopping list
- 1/2 cup heavy cream shopping list
- green onions (scallion), thinly sliced for garnish shopping list
How to make it
- Melt 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter in a large skillet.
- Add onion and celery and cook on low heat until soft.
- Add mushrooms, shrimp, lemon zest, salt , pepper and cornstarch/cream mixture stirring after it's introduction for about 1-2 minutes.
- Add in the 1/3 cup cornbread stuffing mix, stir.
- Remove immediately from the heat and spoon into an oven safe casserole dish.
- In a food processor (or with a lot of work and hand mixer), process the Brie, mayonnaise and sheery until smooth.
- Add in the 1/2 cup of heavy cream cream and process to blend (this will be thick), spoon over the shrimp evenly.
- In another skillet heat the remaining butter and add about 1/2 cup of cornbread stuffing mix. Toss to coat.
- Sprinkle over the shrimp casserole and bake for 20 minutes at 350 degrees.
- Garnish with the green onions.