Oven-Fried CatfishFrom mountainmama 8 years ago
- 1/2 cup yellow cornmeal shopping list
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour shopping list
- 3/4 teaspoon salt shopping list
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper shopping list
- 2 large egg whites shopping list
- 4 skinless catfish fillets, 1/2 to 3/4 inch thick (about 6 ounces each), rinsed and dried shopping list
- 1 tablespoon vegetable or olive oil shopping list
- Low-fat tartar sauce and lemon wedges for serving shopping list
How to make it
- 1. Preheat the oven to 500F. In a shallow bowl, mix together the cornmeal, flour, salt and pepper. In a small bowl, beat the egg whites until frothy. Place a baking sheet in the oven while you prepare the fish.
- 2. Dip each fillet in egg white, then coat in the cornmeal mixture. Carefully remove the baking sheet from the oven and brush with the oil. Arrange fillets on the sheet.
- 3. Place on the lowest rack of the oven and bake, turning once, until golden, 10–12 minutes. Serve with the tartar sauce and lemon wedges.