Southern Corn Bread 3From mountainmama 5 years ago
How to make it
- Preheat oven to 450 deg F.
- Combine cornmeal, baking powder, soda and salt in a large bowl; add eggs and buttermilk (not oil), stirring just until dry ingredients are moistened.
- Put the 2 Tbs oil in a 9- or 10-inch cast iron skillet and place in hot oven for four minutes.
- Carefully remove skillet from oven and make sure oil coats entire bottom of pan, then pour hot oil from pan into batter. Mix slightly, then pour batter into hot pan. It should sizzle! Don't forget that the pan is hot when you pick it up again.
- Bake at 450 deg for 25 minutes or until lightly browned.