Paula Deens Luscious Lemon Angel Food Cake with a Citrus GlazeFrom cardinal54 6 years ago
- 1 cup cake flour shopping list
- 1 1/2 cups sugar, divided shopping list
- 12 large egg whites, at room temperature shopping list
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar shopping list
- 1/4 teaspoon salt shopping list
- 2 tablespoons of juice from a lemon shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract shopping list
- 2 tablespoons grated lemon zest shopping list
- For the glaze: shopping list
- 2 cups confectioner's sugar shopping list
- 5 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice shopping list
- A few drops of yellow food coloring shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- In a small bowl, whisk 1/2 cup sugar and the flour.
- Set aside. In another bowl, use an an electric mixer to beat the egg whites on low until light and foamy.
- Add in the cream of tartar and the salt.
- Increasing the speed to high, continue to beat adding the remaining 1 cup sugar a little at a time until the egg whites form shiny soft peaks.
- Beat in the vanilla and lemon juice until just mixed in.
- Fold in the flour and sugar mixture a half cup at a time.
- Pour the batter into an un-greased tube pan.
- Drop the pan lightly on the counter to release any air bubbles and smooth the top.
- Place the cake on a lower rack in the oven, and bake for approximately 50-60 minutes or until the cake is golden brown and springs back when pressed with a finger on top.
- In a medium bowl combine the confectioner's sugar and lemon juice.
- Add drops of yellow food coloring until desired color is achieved. Remove from oven and invert over the neck of a bottle.
- Let the cake cool completely before trying to remove from pan.
- When cooled, run a knife along the edges of the tube pan to release the cake.
- Put the cake, bottom side up, on a cake stand and drizzle the lemon glaze over the top.