English Christmas Style Cranberry And Fig CakeFrom gourmetana 8 years ago
- 8 1/2 cups mixed dried fruit shopping list
- 3/4 cup dried and roughly chopped prunes shopping list
- 1/2 cup dried and roughly chopped figs shopping list
- 3/4 dried cranberries shopping list
- 2 balls grated stem ginger in syrup (save the syrup) shopping list
- Zest of 1 lime shopping list
- Zest and juice of 1 orange shopping list
- 3/4 cup brandy shopping list
- 2 splashes Angostura bitters shopping list
- 6 oz unsalted butter - cubbed (you'll need extra butter to grease) shopping list
- 1 3/4 self-raising flour shopping list
- 3/4 cup dark muscovado sugar shopping list
- 1/2 tsp ground cardamom shopping list
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon shopping list
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves shopping list
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground nutmeg shopping list
- 4 beaten eggs shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat the oven to 300ºF. Grease and line the base and sides of a 8 inch deep cake tin.
- Put all the dried fruit in a very large pan and add the ginger, 1 tbsp reserved ginger syrup, orange and lime zest and orange juice, brandy and Angostura bitters. Bring to boil, then simmer for 5 min.
- Add butter and sugar and heat gently to melt. Stir occasionally to dissolve the sugar.
- Take the pan off the heat and leave to cool for a couple of minutes. Add the flour, spices and beaten eggs, then mix together well.
- Pour the mix into the prepared cake tin and level the top. Wrap the sides of the tin in brown paper and secure with string to protect the cake during cooking.
- Bake for 2 - 2 1/2 hrs - occasionally check if the cake is cooked with a skewer.
- Leave the cake in the tin for 2 - 3 hours, then remove and allow to cool on a wire rack, leaving the greaseproof paper on. Once cooled, wrap the cake in clingfilm, then in foil.
- Store in an airtight container for up to three months.
- When serving you can leave it as a plain fruitcake or decorate it.