Cranberry Wild Rice PilafFrom fizzle3nat 8 years ago
- 1/2 c. butter or margarine (I'll always say butter is best) shopping list
- 1/2 tsp. salt shopping list
- 3/4 c. tiny pasta, like orzo shopping list
- 1/4 tsp. fresh ground black pepper shopping list
- 1 1/2 c. water, divided (1/2 c. water if only using white rice) shopping list
- 1/2 c. toasted almonds shopping list
- 3/4 c. sweetened, dried cranberries shopping list
- 1/2 c. scallions (green onions), chopped shopping list
- 2 - 13 3/4 oz. cans chicken broth shopping list
- CHOOSE ONE OF THE FOLLOWING: shopping list
- 1/2 c. wild rice AND 1 1/2 c. uncooked white rice shopping list
- OR shopping list
- 2 c. uncooked white rice shopping list
How to make it
- Bring 1 cup of water and the wild rice to a boil in a small saucepan. Cover and reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer about 15 minutes, just enough to parboil the rice; drain.
- (Begin here if only using white rice.) In deep saucepan, heat butter. In it, brown pasta, stirring frequently. Add chicken broth, 1/2 c. water, salt and pepper. Stir in both white and parboiled wild rice (or just the white rice; if using that); bring to a boil.
- Simmer, covered, over low heat for 20 minutes or until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed. DO NOT stir rice or remove cover while cooking.
- About 5 min. before rice is finished, heat a small amount of water in a saucepan with a steamer basket inside. When water begins to boil, place cranberries and green onions in steamer basket. Cover and blanch for 30 - 45 seconds. Remove from heat and drain.
- Stir cranberries, green onions, and toasted almonds into pilaf. Serve immediately.