BATTY BUTTERMILK BISCUITSFrom cardinal54 5 years ago
- 2 cups all-purpose flour shopping list
- 2 teaspoons baking powder shopping list
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda shopping list
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt shopping list
- 1/2 cup cold butter, cut into chunks shopping list
- 6 ounces (1 1/2 cups) Jalapeño Jack cheese, shredded shopping list
- 3/4 cup buttermilk* shopping list
- Chopped ripe olives or red bell pepper, cut into small pieces shopping list
- *Substitute 1 tablespoon vinegar or lemon juice plus enough shopping list
- milk to equal 3/4 cup. Let stand 5 minutes. shopping list
How to make it
- Heat oven to 450°F.
- Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and garlic salt in large bowl; cut in butter with fork or pastry blender until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Add cheese; toss to coat with flour mixture. Stir in buttermilk just until moistened.
- Turn dough out onto lightly floured surface; knead 10 times or until smooth.
- Roll out dough to 1/2-inch thickness.
- Cut with 3- to 4-inch bat-shaped cookie cutters.
- Place 1 inch apart onto large ungreased baking sheet.
- Press olives or red pepper pieces into dough for eyes.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Serve warm with butter.
- Recipe Tip
- Use your favorite Halloween cookie cutter, such as
- broomstick or ghost, or use a round biscuit
- cutter to cut biscuits.
- Red Pepper Biscuits: Add 1/4 cup finely chopped roasted red
- pepper, patted dry, to dough with the cheese.