Baked French Onion SoupFrom sas 8 years ago
- 6 large white onions, thinly sliced shopping list
- 3 cloves garlic, finely minced shopping list
- 2 tablespoons olive oil shopping list
- 2 tablespoons butter shopping list
- 9 cups beef broth or homemade stock shopping list
- 1/4 cup of dry red drinking wine (optional) shopping list
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder shopping list
- 1/3 teaspoon ground black pepper shopping list
- salt to taste shopping list
- 8 large croutons, buttered and baked-- plus extra bread for dunking shopping list
- 1 cup shredded parmesan cheese shopping list
- 8 large slices gruyere cheese shopping list
- Serve with an AUTUMN SUNSET cocktail shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Bake bread pieces 15 to 20 minutes or until lightly golden and crisped. Set aside.
- Sauté sliced onions in olive oil and butter over medium heat until onions become translucent but not brown. Add minced garlic cloves to onions during last few minutes, making sure garlic does not brown.
- Stir in beef broth, wine and seasonings.
- Bring to a boil; reduce, heat and simmer for 30 to 40 minutes. Adjust seasonings to taste adding salt and pepper as required. Remember that Parmesan cheese is salty, so don't overdo with the salt.
- Ladle the soup into ovenproof serving bowls, one for each serving. Cover soup with a slice of bread. Top with Gruyère and sprinkle with Parmesan.
- Place serving bowls under broiler set on high. Broil six to seven minutes or until cheese is bubbly and has some browning.
- Serve with additional grated Parmesan cheese for sprinkling at table.
The Cooksas Farmington, CT
The Rating1 people
Count me in, Sas m'dear! I so love onion soup and paired with your luscious cocktail - well, who could resist? This would make a good meal to share with someone special. Thanks!lunasea in Orlando loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!