Maman Dion Old Fashioned Pea SoupFrom charrm1 5 years ago
- 2 cups whole yellow peas shopping list
- 10 cups water shopping list
- 1 small ham with bone (3 lbs) shopping list
- 2 finely chopped onions shopping list
- 2 finely chopped carrots shopping list
- 3 finely chopped celery sticks shopping list
- 2 tbsps finely chopped fresh parley shopping list
- 4 bay leaves shopping list
- 1 tsp ground savoury shopping list
- salt to taste shopping list
- pepper to taste shopping list
How to make it
- Put the peas in a large quantity of water and let soak for at least 6 hours in the fridge.
- Drain and rinse the peas. Place the peas and all the other ingredients in a large saucepan.
- Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer for about 3 hours. Add more water occasionally during the cooking time to maintain the water level you started with if necessary.
- Take out the ham and the bay leaves. Separate the meat from the bone and shred the meat. Reserve.
- Take 2 cups of the soup and puree in the food processor. Add it back to the soup and add the ham pieces. Take out the bay leaves before serving. Rectify seasoning to your taste.
- Serve with a green salad and homemade bread. Tastes like home.