Pumpkin Meringue PieFrom annielikestocook 7 years ago
- 250g shortcrust pastry shopping list
- 750g pumpkin, deseeded, skinned and cubed shopping list
- juice of 3 large oranges shopping list
- finely grated rind of 1 orange shopping list
- 75ml lemon juice shopping list
- 2 tablespoons cornflour shopping list
- 175ml water shopping list
- 75g caster sugar, plus 2 tablespoons extra shopping list
- 3 egg whites shopping list
How to make it
- Pre-heat oven to 200C
- Roll out the pastry on a lightly floured surface and use to line a 23cm shallow, round, loose-based flan tin.
- Line then with baking paper and beans or foil and bake blind for 15 minutes
- Remove the paper and beans/foil and bake for a further 5 minutes until golden
- Place the pumpkin in a saucepan with the orange juice, rind and the lemon juice.
- Bring to the boil, cover and simmer gently until the pumpkin is tender.
- Allow to cool then put the pumpkin and juice in a food processor or blender and blend until smooth.
- Blend the cornflour with the water and add to the pan with 75g of caster sugar and the pumpkin.
- Cook until the mixture is thick and bubbling.
- Pour into the pastry shell and level the top.
- Whisk the egg whites in a bowl until stiff.
- Gradually whisk in the 2 tablespoons or caster sugar.
- Spoon the meringue over the filling and swirl with a palette knife.
- Return to the oven for a further 5-8 minutes until lightly browned.