Red Cinnamon Apple RingsFrom bluewaterandsand 7 years ago
- 5 pounds firm cooking apples shopping list
- (Golden Delicious, Granny Smith, Jonathan, Gala, Jonagold, etc.) shopping list
- 2 cups sugar shopping list
- 2 cups water shopping list
- red food coloring (optional) shopping list
- 4 cinnamon sticks shopping list
- Ascorbic acid powder, vitamin C tablets, or lemon juice* shopping list
How to make it
- Wash and core apples; do not peel. Slice apples into 1/2 inch thick
- rings. To prevent browning, drop apple rings into a bowl of cold
- water (about 2 quarts) containing 1/2 teaspoon ascorbic acid powder
- (1500 mg), or use equivalent in finely crushed vitamin C tablets or
- 1/2 cup lemon juice. Keep apples covered with ascorbic acid water
- until ready to use.
- Combine sugar, 2 cups water and cinnamon sticks in a large
- saucepan. Add a few drops of red food coloring, if desired.
- Bring syrup to a boil and boil for five minutes.
- Remove from heat. Drain apples, add to syrup. Return syrup and
- apples to a boil; reduce heat and simmer 30 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let stand until cool. Remove apple rings from
- syrup. Loosely pack apple rings into canning jars leaving 1/2 inch
- headspace. Return syrup to heat and bring to a boil.
- Remove cinnamon sticks. Ladle hot syrup over apple rings leaving
- 1/2 inch headspace. Remove air bubbles. Adjust two-piece lids.
- Process pint size jars 15 minutes, or quarts 20 minutes in a boiling
- water bath canner. Yield about six pints or three quarts.