Bean BurgersFrom momoften 4 years ago
- 1 14-ounce can beans (white, black or red or chickpeas), drained (save liquid) shopping list
- 1 medium onion, quartered shopping list
- 1/2 cup rolled oats (not instant) shopping list
- 1 tablespoon chili powder or spice of your choosing shopping list
- salt shopping list
- pepper shopping list
- 1 egg shopping list
- oil shopping list
- , if necessary liquids: bean liquid, stock, wine, cream, milk, water, ketchup, etc.) shopping list
How to make it
- Combine the beans, onion, oats, chili powder, salt, pepper, and egg in a food processor and pulse until chunky but not puréed, adding a little liquid if necessary (this is unlikely but not impossible) to produce a moist but not wet mixture. Let the mixture rest for a few minutes if time allows.
- With wet hands, shape into whatever size patties you want and again let rest for a few minutes if time allows. (You can make the burger mixture or even shape the burgers up to a day or so in advance. Just cover tightly and refrigerate, then bring everything back to room temperature before cooking.) Film the bottom of a large nonstick or well-seasoned cast-iron skillet with oil and turn the heat to medium. A minute later, add the patties. Cook until nicely browned on one side, about 5 minutes; turn carefully and cook on the other side until firm and browned.
- Serve on buns with the usual burger fixings. Or cool and refrigerate or freeze for later use.