Bolinhos De Bacalhau Codfish BallsFrom ravenseyes 5 years ago
- 1 lb. salt cod shopping list
- 1 onion (small thinly sliced) shopping list
- 1 Bayleaf shopping list
- 4 peppercorns(whole) shopping list
- 2 cups potatoes (cooked and mashed) shopping list
- 1/8 tsp. salt shopping list
- 1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper shopping list
- 2 eggs (slightly beaten) shopping list
- 2 Tbs.parsley ( fresh - finely chopped) shopping list
- vegetable or canola oil for frying shopping list
How to make it
- Soak salt cod overnight, making sure to rinse and change the water at least three times. Remove skin and any bones. Cut salt cod into small chunks.
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, heat 2 cups of water with the thinly sliced onion, bayleaf, and peppercorns. Add the cod and an additional 2 cups of water to the saucepan and poach the cod until it's no longer transparent, about 5 minutes after the hot water has returned to a light rolling boil. (You may elect to refrigerate the cod in the liquid mixture until you're ready to prepare your Bolinhos de Bacalhau.)
- To form the bolinhos, drain the fish and flake it into a large mixing bowl. Add the mashed potatoes, eggs, salt, pepper, and parsley. Mix well with freshly cleaned hands or a wooden spoon.
- Wait about half an hour for the ingredients to diffuse their flavor then form the balls. Roll small portions of the mixture into balls about 1 1/2-inches in diameter.
- In a heavy-bottomed skillet over medium-high heat, warm oil for frying to 375-F degrees. Fry the cod balls in the oil until golden, and remove to paper towels to drain excess oil. Serve warm with a cold beverage.)