Homemade GjetostFrom chefelaine 5 years ago
- A stainless steel pot with a thick heat-dissipating bottom (either aluminum or copper). shopping list
- It should be larger than the amount of whey you will boil down (1.25 gallon capacity in this case) shopping list
- 1 gallon of fresh whey from making regular cheese shopping list
- A greased pan into which to pour the finished product. shopping list
How to make it
- Pour fresh whey into the thick bottomed pot (with a capacity larger than the amount of whey you will reduce).
- Lower the heat so that it simmers and leave uncovered for as many hours as it takes to reduce the volume.
- When the consistency has become more viscous (about 5-6 hours for me), watch closely, and stir regularly to prevent from burning or sticking.
- When the consistency closely resembles fudge, remove from heat, stir vigorously, and pour into a buttered pan.
- Rapid cooling is one of the tricks to smooth finished product.
- If it turns out grainy, reheat, stir vigorously, and cool again rapidly.
- Refrigerate until you use it.
- Slice it thinly.
- The Scandanavians serve it on Ryekrisp crackers.
The Cookchefelaine Muskoka, CANA
The Rating6 people
See I knew this would be interesting. Thanks and here again are my 5. MJflavors in Algonquin loved it
I am disturbed to see that you have plagiarized my web page on making gjetost, including use of an image from my site:
It is particularly a violation of intell...moreDavid_Fankhauser in loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!