Macaroni and Cheese Swiss StyleFrom unswissmiss 7 years ago
- <b>Sauce</b> shopping list
- 3 Tbsp butter shopping list
- 3 Tbsp flour shopping list
- 2 C milk shopping list
- 1-2 Tbsp Dijon mustard shopping list
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper (or to taste) shopping list
- 1/8 tsp paprika (or to taste) shopping list
- 1/8 tsp black pepper (or to taste) shopping list
- 1 tsp salt (or to taste) shopping list
- <b>Macaroni</b> shopping list
- 1/2 lb elbow macaroni shopping list
- 2 C grated cheese (I use a 50/50 blend of gruyere and Appenzeller) shopping list
- 1/2 C grated Parmesan shopping list
- <b>Topping</b> shopping list
- 1/2 C bread crumbs shopping list
- 2 Tbsp Parmesan shopping list
- 1 Tbsp butter, cut into small pieces shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat the oven to 425 F.
- Bring a generous pot of salted water to a boil.
- While the water is heating up, melt butter in a heavy skillet over moderately low heat.
- Add flour and cook, whisking, until the mixture starts to turn light golden (about 3 minutes).
- While whisking, add milk and bring to a boil.
- Add mustard and spices. Cook until thickened, stirring occasionally (about 2 minutes).
- Add macaroni to the pot of boiling water and cook until al dente, about 6 minutes. Drain the macaroni and transfer to a 2 quart baking dish.
- Stir in sauce, grated cheese, 1/2 C Parmesan, and anything else that strikes your fancy. Smooth down the top.
- Mix the bread crumbs and remaining Parmesan together.
- Sprinkle the bread crumb mixture over the casserole.
- Dot with the butter.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes, until the dish is bubbling and the topping turns golden brown.
The Cookunswissmiss Basel, CH
- Not added to any groups yet!