Steaky Casserole PieFrom mountainmama 6 years ago
- 1 large onion, sliced shopping list
- 1/3 cup shortening shopping list
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour shopping list
- 1 teaspoon salt shopping list
- 1 teaspoon pepper shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger shopping list
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground allspice shopping list
- 1-1/2 pounds boneless round steak, cut into 1-inch cubes shopping list
- 2 cups boiling water shopping list
- 1-1/2 cups diced peeled potatoes shopping list
- 1 cup diced carrots shopping list
- 1 cup frozen peas shopping list
- pie pastry (9 to 10 inches) shopping list
How to make it
- In a Dutch oven, lightly brown onion in shortening. Meanwhile, combine flour, salt, pepper, ginger and allspice in a plastic bag.
- Place meat cubes in the bag, a few pieces at a time, and shake well to coat. Remove onion and set aside. Brown beef on all sides. Add water; cover and simmer for 1 hour or until meat is tender, stirring occasionally.
- Add potatoes, carrots and reserved onions; cover and cook for 10 minutes. Stir in peas and continue cooking until all vegetables are tender, about 10 minutes. Spoon meat mixture into a 9-in. square baking pan.
- Roll pastry out to a 10-in. square; place over meat mixture and seal edges to pan. Cut several small steam vents in crust.
- Bake at 450° for 25-30 minutes or until pastry is browned.