Lees Homemade Pickled HerringFrom charrm1 8 years ago
- 1 lb (500 g) raw herring, deboned, cleaned (available at the fish market), cut into bite size pieces shopping list
- 1/2 cup apple-cider vinegar shopping list
- 1/2 cup white vinegar shopping list
- 3 tbsps white sugar shopping list
- 1 tsp pickling spices and 1 bay leaf in a piece of cheesecloth shopping list
- 1 small mild spanish (white) onion, cut in two and then thinly sliced shopping list
How to make it
- Put the apple-cider vinegar, white vinegar, white sugar and spices in a saucepan and simmer on medium-low heat for 20 minutes.
- In the meantime, mix the herring pieces and the onion together and put into a large, clean mason jar.
- Pour the very hot brine over the herring and onions mixture, close the lid securely. Cool and then refrigerate for at least 48 hours before eating as an appetizer with a dollop of sour cream and crackers or french baguette slices.
The Cookcharrm1 Gatineau, Canada
The Rating1 people
This sounds good. A family friend used to make canned bonita, but sadly took it to the grave with him. Trying new things to maybe get close. Thanks again!!! :) :) :)sharyl4 in Mohave Valley loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!