Scalloped CauliflowerFrom fizzle3nat 7 years ago
- 2 lbs. cauliflower, cut into small florets shopping list
- 2/3 c. grated cheese, such as gruyere, aged Cheddar, or parmigiano Reggiano (I suggest the Parm) shopping list
- 1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg or 1 TBSP. Dijon mustard (I use the nutmeg) shopping list
- Bechamel Sauce: shopping list
- 1 3/4 c. plus 2 TBSP milk shopping list
- 1/4 of a small onion shopping list
- 1 bay leaf shopping list
- 2 whole cloves shopping list
- 3 TBSP. butter shopping list
- 3 TBSP. all-purpose flour shopping list
- salt and ground white pepper, to taste shopping list
- Topping: shopping list
- 1/2 c. breadcrumbs, fresh or panko shopping list
- 2 TBSP butter, melted shopping list
- paprika shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Butter a 2 quart baking dish.
- Prepare Bechamel Sauce: In a small saucepan over low heat, combine milk, onion, bay leaf, and cloves. Simmer gently for 15 minutes, uncovered, to infuse flavor into the milk. Discard the onion, bay leaf, and cloves.
- In a medium saucepan over low heat melt the 3 TBSP butter. Stir in the flour. Cook uncovered, stirring occasionally with a wooden spoon or spatula, over medium-low heat until the roux is just fragrant but not darkened, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from the heat and let cool slightly.
- Slowly whisk in the warm milk and return the saucepan to the heat. Bring the sauce slowly to a simmer, whisking to prevent lumps, and cook, stirring often and skimming any skin that forms on the surface, over low heat, without boiling, until it reaches the consistency of thick cream soup, 8 to 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Stir in nutmeg or mustard (whichever you are using) into the finished sauce.
- For the cauliflower, while preparing the Bechamel Sauce, bring 4 quarts of water to a boil with 1 1/2 TBSP. salt and the juice of one lemon. Add the cauliflower and boil uncovered until the largest floret is tender, but still crisp, 3 to 5 minutes. Drain, and keep warm while finishing the Sauce.
- Spread cauliflower in prepared baking dish and top with half of the cheese. Spoon sauce over cauliflower and cheese. Sprinkle remaining cheese on top.
- For the topping, mix together the breadcrumbs and 2 TBSP melted butter. Sprinkle over the top of the cauliflower. Bake until bubbly and browned on the top, about 25 minutes. Sprinkle with paprika and serve.