Sweet Potato And Apple CassouletFrom hollymayb 8 years ago
How to make it
- Peel, core and cut up about 10 granny smith apples. (blue job)
- Put them in a bowl of cold water with lemon juice to keep them from going brown. Drain before using. (duh)
- Bake 1 huge or 2-3 small sweet potatoes or yams in the microwave. Let them cool and then peel and remove any dry bits. Slice them into 1/2 inch pieces.
- Pick over about a cup of raisins to remove any stems etc.
- Grate about a tablespoon of fresh ginger.
- Measure out about a cup of brown sugar or demerarra sugar.
- Have cinnamon ready for sprinkling.
- Have hard butter cut into small pieces, about a cup of small pieces.
- Juice one lemon.
- Layer in a buttered casserole first the sweetpotatoes, then apples, handful of raisins, sprinkle of cinnamon, sprinkle of ginger, sprinkle of brown sugar and dot with butter.
- Repeat two more times at least ending with apples arranged artfully on top.
- Note: the raisins,cinnamon and ginger should be underneath the last layer of apples or they just look nasty.
- Over the last apples again use the sugar and butter. It will look like an apple pie without the crust.
- Pour your lemon juice over the top and bake for about 45 minutes at 350.
- You can make this in advance and freeze or refridgerate it, and then just reheat, covered, after thawing for your dinner.
The Cookhollymayb Baltimore, Maryland
The Rating1 people
This is nice! Ginger compliments the apples and yams in this. Thanks for sharing this recipe!juels in Clayton loved it