Hearty Shrimp amp Sausage ChowderFrom mandysue 5 years ago
- 3 slices bacon, chopped shopping list
- 1 onion, chopped shopping list
- 1/2 C green pepper, diced shopping list
- 1 1/2 C chicken broth shopping list
- 1 1/2 C water shopping list
- 1 can diced tomatoes ("fire-roasted" are especially good in this) shopping list
- 1 bay leaf shopping list
- 1/2 t salt shopping list
- 1/4 t pepper shopping list
- 2 dashes Tabasco (green or red) or to taste shopping list
- 1 1/2 lb. cooked, peeled shrimp shopping list
- 1/2 lb. mild bulk Italian sausage shopping list
- 3 T chopped parsley (optional) shopping list
How to make it
- Thaw shrimp in cool water if frozen.
- In a large soup pot or Dutch oven, cook the bacon until nearly crisp.
- Add onion and green pepper and saute 10 minutes until soft.
- Add broth and water.
- Stir to mix.
- Add tomatoes, bay leaf, salt, pepper, and Tabasco.
- Bring to a boil and then simmer 15 minutes.
- While broth and vegetables simmer, brown and crumble the sausage until cooked through.
- Drain off any grease.
- Add sausage and shrimp to the soup pot and heat through (less than 5 minutes).
- Sprinkle in the parsley if desired and serve in big bowls.