Traditional Braised Red Cabbage with ApplesFrom bismyno1 8 years ago
- 2 lb (1kg) red cabbage shopping list
- 1 lb (450g) onions, chopped small shopping list
- 1 lb (450g) cooking apples, peeled, cored and chopped small shopping list
- 1 clove garlic, chopped very small shopping list
- 1/4 whole nutmeg, freshly grated shopping list
- 1/4 level teaspoon ground cinnamon shopping list
- 1/4 level teaspoon ground cloves shopping list
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar shopping list
- 3 tablespoons wine vinegar shopping list
- 1/2 oz (15g) butter shopping list
- salt and freshly milled black pepper shopping list
How to make it
- PRE-HEAT THE OVEN TO GAS MARK 2, 300F, 150C
- Discard the tough outer leaves of the cabbage, cut it into quarters and remove the hard stalk.
- Then shred the rest of the cabbage finely (you can use a food processor, but I prefer to do it with a sharp knife, it doesnt come out so uniform).
- Next, in a fairly large casserole, arrange a layer of shredded cabbage seasoned with salt and pepper, then a layer of chopped onions and apples with a sprinkling of garlic, spices and sugar.
- Continue with these alternate layers until everything is in the casserole dish.
- Now pour in the wine vinegar, then lastly add dots of butter on the top.
- Put a tight lid on the casserole and let it cook very slowly in the oven for 2 - 2.5hrs, stirring everything around once or twice during the cooking.
- Serve with poultry, venison or even sausages and mashed potatoes.
The Cookbismyno1 IE
The Rating3 people
The flavors in this sound wonderful and warm. I love cabbage and apples - this would really complement an herbed pork roast. I will save this one! Thanks for sharing! - Nataliefizzle3nat in Waterville loved it
Great ingredients combination! Love it!elgab89 in Toronto loved it
Awesome recipe...saved it to make around the holidays! Thanks.greekgirrrl in Huntington Village loved it