Traditional Braised Red Cabbage with ApplesFrom bismyno1 5 years ago
- 2 lb (1kg) red cabbage shopping list
- 1 lb (450g) onions, chopped small shopping list
- 1 lb (450g) cooking apples, peeled, cored and chopped small shopping list
- 1 clove garlic, chopped very small shopping list
- 1/4 whole nutmeg, freshly grated shopping list
- 1/4 level teaspoon ground cinnamon shopping list
- 1/4 level teaspoon ground cloves shopping list
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar shopping list
- 3 tablespoons wine vinegar shopping list
- 1/2 oz (15g) butter shopping list
- salt and freshly milled black pepper shopping list
How to make it
- PRE-HEAT THE OVEN TO GAS MARK 2, 300F, 150C
- Discard the tough outer leaves of the cabbage, cut it into quarters and remove the hard stalk.
- Then shred the rest of the cabbage finely (you can use a food processor, but I prefer to do it with a sharp knife, it doesnt come out so uniform).
- Next, in a fairly large casserole, arrange a layer of shredded cabbage seasoned with salt and pepper, then a layer of chopped onions and apples with a sprinkling of garlic, spices and sugar.
- Continue with these alternate layers until everything is in the casserole dish.
- Now pour in the wine vinegar, then lastly add dots of butter on the top.
- Put a tight lid on the casserole and let it cook very slowly in the oven for 2 - 2.5hrs, stirring everything around once or twice during the cooking.
- Serve with poultry, venison or even sausages and mashed potatoes.
The Cookbismyno1 IE
The Rating3 people
Awesome recipe...saved it to make around the holidays! Thanks.greekgirrrl in Huntington Village loved it
Great ingredients combination! Love it!elgab89 in Toronto loved it
The flavors in this sound wonderful and warm. I love cabbage and apples - this would really complement an herbed pork roast. I will save this one! Thanks for sharing! - Nataliefizzle3nat in Waterville loved it