The Sarges Goetta - German Breakfast TreatFrom jones2888 6 years ago
- 3 quarts water shopping list
- 2 tablespoons salt shopping list
- 2 teaspoons ground black pepper shopping list
- 5 cups steel cut oats shopping list
- 2 pounds ground beef shopping list
- 2 pounds ground pork sausage shopping list
- 2 large onions, finely chopped shopping list
- 1/4 cup cooking oil shopping list
How to make it
- Bring water, salt, and pepper to boil in a slow cooker set to High. Stir in steel cut oats, cover, and cook 90 minutes.
- In a large bowl, mix beef, pork, and onions. Stir into the oat mixture, and reduce heat to Low. Cover, and continue cooking 3 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Transfer the mixture to a medium baking pan, and cool until semi-solid. Turn out onto wax paper, and chill 1 hour in the refrigerator, or until firm.
- Heat oil in a large, heavy skillet over medium high heat. Cut the refrigerated mixture into thin slices. Cook slices one at a time in the heated oil until evenly brown.
People Who Like This Dish 8
The Cookjones2888 Columbus, OH
The Rating4 people
Sounds GREAT, jones! It's a different take on Pennsylvania's scrapple which is exclusively pork and uses cornmeal instead of oats. My thanks and my five, my friend.
Lorrainelacrenshaw in Horsham loved it
That's different and sounds great for a winter dinner! Or breakfast!greekgirrrl in Huntington Village loved it
Sounds delicous thanks high5 it wont let me use the 5 forks keeps dissappearing thanksmomo_55grandma in Mountianview loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!